El Arcoiris
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
El Arcoiris

A forum for artists and gardeners. Let us collaborate to change the world!!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"set it and forget it" veggies

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
eelwood galápagoss

"set it and forget it" veggies Empty
PostSubject: "set it and forget it" veggies   "set it and forget it" veggies EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 11:05 pm

remember those infomericals that sell a cooking machine that you just "SET IT AND FORGET IT" well i wanna find set it and forget it plans. i know i know, youre thinking "What the fuck are you talking about patrick!?!?" Well heres the scoop.
i was a-walkin downtown and i saw an out of place artichoke plant. it did not fit in with the rest of the christmas tree and smelly wood chip style landscaping. it made me rwally happy to see that rogue artichoke. i wanna plant lots of food on the little grass strips and medians downtown. it will be really polluted but the presance of a downtown veggie is so rad. fuck you cement imma plant!

so what would be some plants, like fava beans, that i could just plant all over and would grow big and strong wiith little maitanance. i love baby sitting plants but my goal is to do this allllllllll over and that is just too much baby sitting.

weed planta?
salvia dividornum plant?
what is the perfect plant to attack cement with???
Back to top Go down
eelwood galápagoss

PostSubject: jus cuz i dont spel good dont mean imma nota nice guy   "set it and forget it" veggies EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 11:07 pm

Back to top Go down
cromagnon
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "set it and forget it" veggies   "set it and forget it" veggies EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 11:32 pm

poppies! if you pick the right time (spring but before a bit of rain and frost, they like to be frozen) they should do pretty well. They dont need to be burried, just broadcast them over a space (I have heard of some people mixing seeds with sand for some reason) and walk over them to make them stick to the soil. This would be a space without grass or much with which they have to compete. Also, if it is a little late in spring and the weather isnt freezing at night anymore, you can put the seeds in the freezer for a few days or a week and then broadcast.
Back to top Go down
https://historychanged.board-directory.net
elwood galápagos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "set it and forget it" veggies   "set it and forget it" veggies EmptyMon Mar 21, 2016 7:21 pm

Cool! i have plenty of potent poppy seeds Smile
it doesnt have to be a ethnobotanically enhancing plant, but that is an added alkaloid bonus (im trying to use big words to talk about the magic realm, because somedays big words are like a good suit. they have Nothing! to do with a job well done, they arent even a functional tool, they just make stuffy ears listen. Hey! remember ya'll best not be confusing hearing for listening)

i dig tim leary's tactics of "turning on" the older, conservative generations. nothing drastic, just turn em on with a flower" so of course sunny flowers would work.  squash or tomatoes would grow all too "messy" for those buttholed city slickers. kale is an old faithful. better yet, imma just try'em all. of course cat nip and cat mint in all the alleyways
Back to top Go down
cromagnon
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "set it and forget it" veggies   "set it and forget it" veggies EmptyMon Mar 21, 2016 10:21 pm

Unfortunately lots of public spaces are constantly groomed for what some would consider weeds. What if the squash or tomatoes were full plants when they were planted in these public spaces like the place in between the road and the sidewalk or the flower basins in emx station downtown?

as for alley ways, cat mint and nip would be great. I also reccomend buckwheat because it is fast growing but it needs water so plant when rain is consistent like spring or fall. what has the eugene weather been like now days? maybe it is time for poppies or buckwheat?

and have you considered tomatillos? they can easily go wild in an alley. also yarrow is a good friend.

p.s. when planting a tomato or squash start it would be important to give it some compost as well.

Last edited by cromagnon on Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cromagnon
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "set it and forget it" veggies   "set it and forget it" veggies EmptyMon Mar 21, 2016 10:22 pm

All Eugene based members = be on the search for alleys, abandoned lots, and spaces in between to cultivate some set it and forget it gardens!!

Back to top Go down
elwood galápagos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "set it and forget it" veggies   "set it and forget it" veggies EmptyMon Mar 21, 2016 11:24 pm

my #1 spot is the street plots around the apple and the shiney new vacant parking lot at 5th & adams. they are prime spot for secret gardening. they are often covered in animal poop and hotdog boxes and they spots are wasted space like accidental dead air.

i like the idea of nursing a rebel plant army over at my housegarden and then transplant them into the little squares of grass surrounded by cement
Back to top Go down
elwood galápagos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "set it and forget it" veggies   "set it and forget it" veggies EmptyThu Mar 24, 2016 2:29 am

update: did some community supported gardening today (help from passers by and neighborhood characters. broad cast all kinds of flower seeds on front street plot. tilled our neighbors plot. planted a cactus by the street cuz its silly. chloe, the gift of seed is best gift! i like to use the handpicked ones, from phils, eugene, and CA because they gotta be supercharged with greenthumb. i hope to maybe do as any street sidewalk plots as i can get up and down my block area.
Back to top Go down
cromagnon
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "set it and forget it" veggies   "set it and forget it" veggies EmptyThu Mar 24, 2016 10:21 pm

green thumb star! make sure to collect more seeds to add to the library!
Back to top Go down
Mauliela
Admin
Mauliela

PostSubject: Re: "set it and forget it" veggies   "set it and forget it" veggies EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 6:05 pm

My small city garden on the roof is growing well. Maybe, because of the cat pee. Very Happy
"set it and forget it" veggies Dscn2810
"set it and forget it" veggies Dscn2812
"set it and forget it" veggies Dscn2811
Back to top Go down
http://mauliela.webnode.cz/
elwood galápagos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "set it and forget it" veggies   "set it and forget it" veggies EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 7:46 pm

roof garden, cool! i want to grow cannabis on my roof because then it will be like a big plant anntenna on top of my house and then no bad guys could steal my pot plants
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "set it and forget it" veggies   "set it and forget it" veggies Empty

Back to top Go down

"set it and forget it" veggies
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
El Arcoiris :: Gardens :: Gardens-
Jump to: